Written by Daniel Andzhurov – October 12, 2022
Reviewed by Asaf Kedem
Last week, BMW released the latest Remote Software Upgrade for cars with BMW OS 8 (Operating System 8). A similar update will soon be available for BMW OS 7 as well. The combination of those add up to 3.8 million cars to get Over-the-Air updates.
In the past 3 years, BMW has been a global leading OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) to adapt vehicle coding over the air, meaning that they have been going far from just updating navigation maps. The free upgrades include enhancements and feature extensions in the areas of infotainment, driving, powertrain, driver assistance, comfort and safety. Taking it even further, the update takes only 20 minutes.
Below is an overview of the main features of the Remote Software Upgrade 07-22:
1. Extensive improvements to the charging route optimized function (applies to BMW iX and i4 produced before July 2022)
2. BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant gets new "skills" and visual expressiveness (applies to all cars with BMW Operating System 8 manufactured before July 2022)
3. Ability to integrate Amazon Alexa into BMW Operating System 8 (for all cars with BMW Operating System 8 manufactured before July 2022)
4. New My Modes "Expressive" and "Relax" (for BMW iX and 2 Series Active Tourer manufactured before July 2022)
5. Integration of the ConnectedDrive Store directly into the vehicle for adding functions at a later date (for BMW iX and 2 Series Active Tourer manufactured before July 2022)
6. Improvements to BMW ID and My BMW App (for all cars with BMW Operating System 8 manufactured before July 2022)
7. Exit warning – for increased safety when leaving the car (for BMW iX and 2 Series Active Tourer manufactured before July 2022)
8. Forward Collision Warning with Brake Intervention – helps prevent accidents (for BMW iX and 2 Series Active Tourer manufactured before July 2022)
9. QLOCKTWO version for time display for all cars with BMW Operating System 8
10. Improvements for vehicles with BMW Operating System 7 (coming soon)
Auto Trendy’s take:
We, at Auto Trendy, congratulate BMW on their hard work to bring this service to their customers. However, we are curious to see more companies follow soon since we see this as a mandatory part of a vehicle package in the foreseeable future. Obviously, there is only one way to find out who will be next. And the next thing to do is to keep you posted.